The School that navigates the future.The Journey School is a non-profit elementary school that started in August 2015 and welcomes students in infant, primary, kindergarten, and grades 1 to 8. This excellent school program is based on the philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori and features work with the land and community. Students in the upper school participate in service learning and partnerships with local organizations and are responsible for the care and maintenance of the school's physical environment and equipment. In addition, students engage in an upper school-based micro-economy where they will learn about economic independence and financial responsibility. Following the Montessori methodology, lessons will be fully integrated, hands-on, and project-based.
- Internalize care of self, care of others, care of the environment
- Individual Work and Study Plan exceeds state and local school standards
- Purposeful and relevant education with real-world applications.
The Journey School is a carefully prepared environment that includes:
- Supportive adults and mentors
- Multi-age classes
- Daily access to the outdoors
- Food preparation and nutrition
- Opportunities for real work experiences
- Participation in a Micro-economy
- Encouragement for creative expression
- Gardening and working on the land
- Choice, Freedom, and Responsibility
- Field study excursions
- A focus on the future and what comes next in students' lives