Middle school that’s not middle of the road.
The Journey School is a non-profit middle school that started in August 2015 that welcomes students in grades 6 to 8. This unique middle school program is based on the philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori and features work with the land and community. Students participate in service learning and internships with local businesses and farms and are responsible for care and maintenance of the school’s physical environment and equipment. In addition, students engage in a school based micro-economy where they will learn about economic independence and financial responsibility. Following the Montessori methodology, lessons will be fully integrated, hands-on, and project based.
- Internalize care of self, care of others, care of the environment
- Individual Work and Study Plan exceeds state and local school standards
- Purposeful and relevant education with real world applications.
The Journey School is a carefully prepared environment that includes:
- Supportive adults and mentors
- Multi-age classes
- Daily access to the outdoors
- Food preparation and nutrition
- Opportunities for real work experiences
- Participation in a Micro-economy
- Encouragement for creative expression
- Gardening and working on the land
- Choice, Freedom, and Responsibility
- Field study excursions
- A focus on the future and what comes next in students’ lives
Located on a 63 acre campus at 2430 Spencerville Road, Spencerville, MD 20868. Convenient to the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore areas.